Friday, April 25, 2014

Decorated Acrylic Boxes

Can you guess what these little cuties used to be??





If you guessed old iPod boxes, you're right!  Congratulations.  You clearly have an eye for trash.  :)




You may have a few of these laying around if you're a bit of a hoarder or just tossed them in a desk drawer and forgot about them.  I had one and found three more of various sizes in my parents' computer desk.

I don't know why it never hit me before, but I suddenly saw the little plastic box as an opportunity!  I started this little project by gathering a few supplies:

  • My cutting mat
  • Metal ruler
  • Craft knife
  • Rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball
  • Mod Podge
  • Craft brush (make sure you use one that doesn't shed hairs easily as these are very annoying to pick out of the Mod Podge)
  • Various decorating supplies (for me this consisted of scrapbook paper and my favorite washi tape)







I pulled out all of the paper packaging so that I was left with an empty box.  Then I used the rubbing alcohol and cotton ball to wipe down the entire thing, inside and out.  This will take care of any grime or fingerprints to make sure you're starting with a clean slate!  It also removed some adhesive that was stuck on a couple of them.




I really just eyeballed the size that I needed to cut my paper to in order to fit it into the box.  Then I used my metal ruler and craft knife for some nice, straight lines.




I painted the Mod Podge onto the inside of the box and very carefully placed my paper down onto it.  You really need to place it down carefully 'cause once it touches that glue, there really is no moving it without ripping.

I then used my fingers to gently smooth out the paper, eliminating any bubbles and making sure it laid smoothly.  Last, but not least, I went over it with another 2 coats of Mod Podge just to make sure the paper was secure.  Plus I knew that this box in particular, I was going to use only half of as a little dish for my rings.




I always take them off and set them in the kitchen window when I'm doing the dishes so I wanted to make sure the paper wouldn't get wet.






I love how these turned out!  Especially since they were such a cheap/easy little afternoon craft.  I decorated them all slightly differently and added some gold glitter washi tape around some.




One went to my kitchen windowsill, while a couple more are housing some jewelry on top of my jewelry armoire.






And the last one is a bit of a catchall on my vanity.






They look so girly and chic!  I love them and now I wish that I had more.  These were so easy, I feel weird for not doing this sooner.

Have any of these old iPod boxes hanging around??  I'd LOVE to see what you would do with yours!

Thanks for lookin'.  :)





betty signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...