Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kitchen DIY: Homemade Yogurt

DIY doesn't strictly apply to things like making your own jewelry or getting creative with some nailhead trim.  (See what I did there?  I linked you to a couple pretty amazing little DIYs.  You're welcome!)

It doesn't have to mean getting out the power tools.

I really get a kick out of making all sorts of things from scratch.  And I don't know about you, but scoring a great deal on anything is an unmatched adrenaline rush.  That's why when I stumbled on the idea of making my own yogurt for a fraction of the price, I went for it.  I spent a lot of time researching the process on the good ol' internets.  I found a lot of great information on different blogs and websites from people sharing their own trial and error advice.




One of those blogs was Bacon in my Pocket.  Ma Bacon sums it all up!  Choosing to make the plain yogurt (I always get plain greek yogurt and add flavor later with honey, granola, fruit, etc.) I followed her procedure exactly and it was a success.




The only differences:

  • I used full fat milk.
  • I used a 5.3 oz. cup of Chobani plain greek yogurt as my starter yogurt.
  • I left mine to incubate for the full 10 hours.



It came out perfectly thick and delicious.  As somebody who loves their yogurt, I couldn't be happier with the results.  I use it for sooooo many things; a substitute in many recipes (Shaun says these are his favorite pancakes now) and eating it for a light dessert with some honey and granola.  Which makes it all the better that it only cost me $3.28 for 4 quarts as opposed to the $22.76 I would spend for the same amount at the store!



This is definitely a diy that I will continue doing.  It's too easy not to if you have the time, why not?  I'm also a control freak and knowing exactly how, where, and with what my food is made is very appealing to me.  




I'm pretty impressed.  Never thought I'd be growing up and making my own yogurt and all.  Think you'll try this?




betty signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...